The LTM4625 from Linear Technology is a switching mode μModule (micromodule) regulator in a tiny 6.25 mm × 6.25 mm × 5.01 mm BGA package. Like many of the newer regulator designs, the package includes the switching controller; power FETs, inductor and support components. Operating over an input voltage range of 4 V to 20 V (or 2.375 V to 20 V with an external bias supply) the LTM4625 supports an output voltage range of 0.6 V to 5.5 V, set by a single external resistor. Its high efficiency design delivers up to 5A continuous output current. Only bulk input and output capacitors are needed.
The LTM4625 supports selectable discontinuous mode operation and output voltage tracking for supply rail sequencing. Its high switching frequency and current mode control enable a very fast transient response to line and load changes without sacrificing stability.
- Complete solution in <1 cm2 (single-sided PCB) or 0.5 cm2 (dual-sided PCB)
- 5A DC output current
- ±1.5% Maximum total DC output voltage error over line, load and temperature
- Current mode control, fast transient response
- External frequency synchronization
- Multiphase parallel current sharing with multiple LTM4625s
- Output voltage tracking
- Selectable discontinuous mode
- Power-good indicator
- Overvoltage, over-current and over-temperature protection
Unit price of the LTM4625 is around $8 US in quantities of 100 units.