Improved Radiation Meter
Counter for alpha, beta and gamma radiation
Published in issue 419, November 2011
All that’s required to measure radiation is a simple PIN photodiode and a suitable preamplifier circuit. We present here an optimised preamplifier and a microcontroller-based counter. The microcontroller takes care of measuring time and pulse rate, displaying the result in counts per minute.The device we describe can be used with different sensors to measure gamma and alpha radiation. It is particularly suitable for long-term measurements and for examining weakly radioactive samples.
* Measures alpha, beta and gamma radiation
* Simple construction using standard components
* Optional: PC connection using Elektor 'BOB' FT232R USB/Serial bridge (110553-91)
* Threshold configurable in software from the PC (Elektor BOB required)
* Two different types of sensor can be used
Click below to download a PDF copy of this article from Elektor magazine.
Please note. In view of the complexity of international markets, Elektor cannot guarantee the availability of components for this project.