Monitoring cardiac signals with ZigBee
Published in issue 409, January 2011
The combination of electronics and biology always yields interesting projects. The system described here is easy to build and enables the wireless monitoring of cardiac signals. ZigBee modules are used for the wireless link.ZigBee technology is an ideal choice for this application in terms of cost, ease of use and low power consumption. The data transmission rate of 250 kbit/s is sufficient for applications such as transmitting ECG signals, which have a narrow bandwidth.
* ECG resolution 10 bits
* ZigBee wireless data transmission
* Range 100 m (300 ft) (outdoors)
* Based on XBee modules
* No programming necessary
* Serial computer interface
* Identical PCBs for acquisition and receiver boards
Updates & Corrections
January 6, 2011
- R12 should have a value of 3.3k (not 33k), the indicated gain of 142 is correct.
- In Figures 1 and 2, the gain of IC4 shoud be shown as 15, not 7.
Click below to download a PDF copy of this article from Elektor magazine.
Please note. In view of the complexity of international markets, Elektor cannot guarantee the availability of components for this project.