A high-voltage regulator for valve amps
Published in issue 387, March 2009
This article describes a novel design for a high-voltage regulator that is very simple yet offers excellent performance. The output voltage is fully adjustable with a single resistor without any changes in performance. You can use several types of tubes or MOSFETs for the pass device in the circuit.
Quick Project Specs
- Universal design, output voltage easily adjustable with one resistor
- Low output impedance and low hum and noise over the complete audio band
- Output voltage adjustable between 0 and 500 V, up to 1 A output current
- Usable for valve preamplifiers and (single ended) power amps
- Build-in delay function (30 s) for output voltage after power-on
- Three plug-in options available for the pass device: with 6528 valve (max. 600 mA); with EL84/6BQ5 or EL86/6CW5 valve (max. 50 mA), or with DN2540 MOSFET (max. 1 A)
Click below to download a PDF copy of this article from Elektor magazine.
Please note. In view of the complexity of international markets, Elektor cannot guarantee the availability of components for this project.